An Omega Constellation Restoration Story


It’s amazing, but understandable, how important a loving father’s watch is when bequeathed to his son. I say “loving father” because over the years I have received countless emails from recipients of their father’s watches, and they seem to fall into two broad categories. The first category is of those who express a heart-felt desire to restore and wear the watch, and the second, a heart-felt desire to know the value of the piece and how to be rid of it quickly. 

It doesn’t take too much imagination to guess which beneficiaries had a relatively happy childhood or an enduring Father-Son bond as opposed to those who would rather forget the entire experience and move on. Fortunately, I receive more correspondence from the former than the latter, revealing touching and often uplifting stories that nourish the incorrigible sentimentalist in me.

One such story began with an email from Ari in August 2011. Rather than relate the story myself,  I’d prefer to share this recent essay from the original correspondent. 

9 comments:

  1. Mark Fleminger3:42 am

    Well Done Ari, what a wonderful story!

    I would love to discuss things Omega with you.

    I also have an heirloom, my grandfather's Seamster Cal 563. This started off my Omega Madness. I now have 3 Constellations, 4 Seamasters, Speedmaster and 2 Geneve, these plus other brands make up a collection of 28 watches.

    I too use Shane as a watchmaker and have been very happy! I always enjoy my visits to his workshop.

    Best regards
    Mark Fleminger (Toronto)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Mark anytime I would enjoy learning more about your watch experiences and collection. drop me an email: griefilm@yahoo.com

    Best regards,
    Ari

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mark Fleminger1:30 am

    Will do Ari,

    Actually I have a similar story to yours, I kept my reply Omega related.
    My father passed away when I was 6 months old and when I was old enough, my mother gave me his Rose Gold Nivada Skymaster. I have it to this day.

    When I got married some years ago, my step-father gave me his Omega Seamaster, so watches sure go around in families!

    Best Regards
    Mark Fleminger

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful and somewhat deeply emotional story. Somehow in every watch movement lies a tiny piece of soul of every previous owner.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mark Fleminger11:49 am

    Hi Ari,
    It was great to meet you and your beautiful Constellation last month.
    I hope you continue to cherish your special watch.
    Cheers
    Mark

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Good after noon,

    I have inherited a 1977 10k Omega constellation, model 1345
    Is this a decent watch

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi

      The number 1345 is the caliber of the movement that powers the watch. The model number appears on the inner case back.

      The movement is a quartz movement and regarded generally as robust. So, yes indeed, it is a decent watch.

      Quartz powered Constellations, while expensive at the time to buy, do not have the same allure to collectors however, and so the value will reflect that.

      Regards

      Desmond

      Delete
  7. Anonymous3:14 am

    What happens to all these .pdf's, when your hosting service gets shut down? Dead links and all the value of this site goes poof. Why not keep them all in the blog?

    ReplyDelete
  8. LOL

    Do you mean when I go 'poof' or 'kaput'? In the event of my untimely demise I have made arrangements for them to be hosted by a watch forum.

    I pay for the hosting service, which appears to be growing rather than shrinking, and so I guess as long as I pay the links will be good.

    ReplyDelete